GN Law - Our People News and TV

Is your ex-partner not letting you have access to your children?

Our People - Peter Bushell
26 August, 2020

When a couple decide to separate, unfortunately the children can become caught in the crossfire. One parent could try and prevent the other from seeing the children for an indefinite period of time, or greatly reduce the time that they usually spend with the children. This can make an already fraught situation even more difficult, especially for the children.

What can you do if this has happened to you? First, try to resolve the situation with the other parent directly and not involve courts or solicitors. If your ex-partner is refusing to talk to you about this then you will need to try something else.

Second, try mediation. You and your ex-partner will sit with a mediator to try and resolve your dispute. You can sit in the same room with the mediator, or in separate rooms and the mediator can go between you. The mediator can help you to reach an agreement together and is independent, meaning they are not acting for either of you. 

If mediation is also unsuccessful, then you may need to get in touch with a solicitor. A solicitor can help you to make an application to court in order to gain contact with your children. Applications to court should be treated as a last resort. If you are in this situation, or if you are seeking any other advice in relation to children matters, please get in touch with us at GN Law on 020 8492 2290, or via email at All information provided by you is strictly confidential. It is possible that you might be entitled to legal aid, and one of our solicitors can discuss this with you over the telephone.

Please also read our attached ‘Guide to Private Children’ document, that contains useful information in relation to children cases.

Peter Bushell specialises in Family Law, including divorce, children matters and resolving financial disputes in the context of divorce proceedings.

Related Articles

What are the alternatives to going to court? 1. Informal agreement - 2. More formal agreements - 3.Mediation - 4. Separated Parents Information Programme (SPIP)
Our People - Olivia Allen
The long-awaited enactments that pave the way for “no fault” divorces, have now become law. This article provides an overview of the previous divorce laws, the changes, and their possible implications.
Our People - Loretta Orsi-Barzanti
Loretta Orsi-Barzanti considers the realities of child maintenance, the ups, the downs and how to navigate what can often be troubled waters.
Our People - Loretta Orsi-Barzanti
GN Law

Send a message

We will only use the information you enter in this form to contact you about your enquiry and will not share it with anyone else. Please read our Privacy Notice.