Karen Shakespeare is a consultant solicitor at who is an external advisor to the Wills, Trusts and Probate Department. She also undertakes her own work through the firm.
Karen has extensive experience of drafting wills and advising on inheritance tax mitigation. She also specialises in probate, intestacies, post-death tax planning, trusts, cohabitation and succession issues. Her clients have included land and business owners, lottery winners and celebrities.
Karen was a finalist in the Northamptonshire Solicitor of the Year Awards 2014 and was highly commended at the STEP Annual Excellence Awards 2006. She is one of the few solicitors to have achieved the STEP Advanced Certificate in Trust Disputes.
- Diploma of Legal Practice, commendation (1996 )
- LLB (Hons) Law ( 1995 )
- GN Law - (2011 - present) – Consultant
- Shakespeares – (2010 - 2011) - Solicitor
- Shoosmiths – (2005 – 2010) -Partner
- Howes Percival – (2003 – 2005) – Solicitor
- Franklins – (1999 – 2003) - Solicitor
- The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- the Law Society’s Private Client Section
- Action on Elder Abuse
- Northamptonshire Law Society
- Dying Matters Coalition
Speaker “Careers in the law” at Milton Keynes College, 2015
Speaker “Inheritance Tax” at Kingston Carers Network Conference 2014
Speaker “Where There’s a Will” at NN Connect, 2013
Speaker “Insolvent Estates and Bankrupt Beneficiaries” at Connect2Law Private Client Conference 2009.
“Mental Capacity Reports” in Do You Know A Good Expert? 2013
“Tax Woe at Woburn Abbey - the cases Sieff v Fox and Re Hastings-Bass” in New Law Journal, 2005
“Living in Limbo - the legal position of cohabitants” in New Law Journal, 2004
Personal Interests and Activities
Karen is a bird lover and fosters parrots awaiting new homes for the charity Birdline. She is also a season ticket holder at MK Dons and she sings in a choir.
What Clients Say
- "Karen helped me on a number of occasions. She was a delight to work with, guided me with her knowledge and kept me well informed on all aspects of our dealings. Thoroughly professional, " a treasure ". – Peter Clare
- "Excellent - swift - efficient - professional - friendly and definitely the best... Thank you Karen." - Anna Johnson
- "I found Karen to be highly efficient, knowledge and reliable. She always had the answers I needed to hand. A refreshing change from other solicitors I have used in the past!" – Simon Foster
- "Karen Shakespeare has undertaken various legal activities on my behalf, I find her easy to work with, she is understanding and delivers excellent results." – Mark Wilson, managing director of Bamboo Steel.
- "I approached Karen about making a will and a discretionary trust and I can recommend her for her professionalism, efficiency, positive attitude and helpfulness." – Nigel Owen