Katarzyna is a Solicitor-Advocate and a consultant in our Mental Health Department at GN Law. She is a Member of the Law Society’s Mental Health Accreditation Scheme and a Mental Health Supervisor at GN Law.
Katarzyna advises, assists and represents patients detained under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended). She specialises in representing patients detained under the forensic sections of the Mental Health Act 1983.
Katarzyna Podkowik has particular expertise in:
- Advising, assisting and representing clients detained on civil and forensic sections of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended);
- Specialising in advising, assisting and representing Polish nationals and forensic/high secure patients before the First-tier Tribunals,
- Advising and assisting mentally disordered inmates at Her Majesty Prisons;
- Conducting Judicial Review, Upper Tribunal and Court of Appeal cases – reported in Richard Jones’ Mental Health Act Manual;
- Leading a team of mental health representatives including supervision, guidance, monitoring and coaching.
Katarzyna advises and represents either the individual detained under the provisions of the Mental Health Act 1983 (as amended) or their Nearest Relative.
Where a patient has stated that they do not wish to conduct their own case or that they wish to be represented before the First-tier Tribunal or a patient lacks the capacity to instruct a solicitor for him/herself, Katarzyna is frequently appointed by the Tribunals Service under the provisions of Rule 11 (7) (a) or (b) of the Tribunal Procedure Rules 2008 to represent a patient before a Tribunal panel.
Katarzyna is involved in preparing and delivering courses to mental health nurses, mental health charities, doctors, mental health professionals, patients and their carers.
Katarzyna also prepares and delivers internal courses at GN Law.
Katarzyna has also been involved in preparing a weekly Mental Health Newsletters providing practical guidance and assistance on complicated and ever changing world of mental health law including Tribunal and Hospital Managers practice and procedure. The Mental Health Newsletters are intended to assist various mental health professionals in their everyday practice and guide them through the mental health law and procedure changes.
- GN Law 2009 -
Katarzyna joined GN Law in 2009 as a consultant solicitor. In 2012 she became a Director and Head of the Mental Health Department. She returned to being a consultant in December 2015.
- Blavo & Co Solicitors
- Scott-Moncrieff, Harbour & Sinclair Solicitors.
Professional Accreditations and Memberships
- Accredited member of the Law Society’s Mental Health Accreditation Scheme
- A member of the Mental Health Lawyers Association
- A member of the Solicitors’ Association of Higher Courts Advocates
- Katarzyna is a fluent Polish speaker.